January 20, 2015

Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies



I have love for anything homemade, as if that wasn't obvious enough just reading few of my blog posts. But anyway, chocolate chip cookies are no exception. Even store bought chocolate chip cookies that claim to have been "baked fresh" do not taste nearly as delicious as do those that are straight out of one's kitchen. Over the winter break, I was craving homemade chocolate chip cookies, and as a person who does not regularly bake or bake at all for that matter, I made a batch with my friends. I also am not a big fan of reading directions so I completely messed up the recipe by ignoring a very important detail for that particular recipe. Long story short, the cookies came out a bit burnt and very hard! So as a tribute, I decided to try again, this time using coconut oil as a substitute for butter. 

As some of you may or may not know, coconut oil is cholesterol free and contains a lot of other health benefits that I will not bore you with. It is also a good substitution when cooking and that's where I knocked the butter out of my way. I found this chocolate chip cookie recipe here. I was unable to locate my mixer so everything was hand mixed. Yes, things got very messy! But it's okay, the cookies in my opinion, were amazing and I am very proud of myself! Who knew I could bake good cookies. 

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup (light) brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup virgin coconut oil (room temperature)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 package of mini semi-sweet morsels 

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the coconut oil until it is smooth. Next, combine the brown sugar, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix together contents. Add 1 egg at a time and beat. Once complete, gradually mix the contents of the small bowl into the large bowl. Once contents are well mixed, stir in the chocolate chips!

I used parchment paper and arranged decent sized dough onto my cookie sheets, about 1" in diameter. I let them bake for 11 minutes. But depending on your oven, I'd say 9-12 minutes will work. 

P.S. The cookies smell delightful and I'm assuming it's from the coconut oil! Enjoy!

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment