This here is another recipe I discovered from Love and Lemons. So back in July and August, my family's fig tree in the backyard (that I did not even know about until this summer!) was dropping figs left and right like crazy! They were very juicy and yummy! I would eat them just as wholes. I didn't think of getting creative with them until our tree stopped producing figs so I purchased a single pound of figs at Whole Foods for $5.99. I know. Steeeeep right? They weren't as sweet or juicy as the ones in my backyard. Tear. Anyway, I looked up some fig recipes and found this flatbread recipe and it's totally doable. Since fig season is coming to an end, you can try substituting figs with green apples.
Ingredients
Flatbread:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup lukewarm water
1 tbsp honey
Toppings:
1 cup sliced fresh figs
1 cup (or whatever you desire) spinach leaves
ricotta cheese
honey
pesto
olive oil
*chopped basil optional*
Instructions
Because I am not a cook or am not a regular person that cooks, I just went with the flow with this recipe. I used Seasons & Suppers' recipe for the flatbread dough and Love and Lemons' recipe for the toppings. So with that said, here's what I did from what I can remember...
1. Combine flour, yeast, honey and water in a large mixing bowl. Before starting the mixer, I let the ingredients sit in the bowl for about 10 minutes. Then I added the salt and olive oil and began the mixing machine. I made sure my dough was very moist and not sticky. When the dough was in a good form, I placed it in a bowl greased with olive oil. Cover with greased saran wrap and let sit in fridge for about an hour.
2. Preheat oven to 430° F. Next, I divided the dough into 4 (non equal) oblong shapes that fit into my cookie sheets. I brushed dough with olive oil and bake for 8 minutes. When done, I brushed the doughs again with olive oil. Spread lotsa ricotta cheese. Sprinkle spinach leaves. Dollop some pesto in random spots, add your sliced figs, and drizzle honey when done for added sweetness!
The best and most fun way when cooking and "following recipes" is to have fun with it and just toss in your own ingredients and substitute others for what you like and for what you want to eat. Ricotta cheese can also be substituted for gorgonzola or goat cheese, too!
Enjoy! xx

No comments:
Post a Comment