Mini vacations are so great. I spent this last weekend in Sacramento. I took the Amtrak bus and train for the first time. Ever since my trip to New York (still working on the post!!) where I took public transportation every single day, I wanted to do that here in California. It was a 9 hour ride. I got to see the sunrise but I did miss the sunset coming back home because I fell asleep.
I finally arrived in Sacramento around 10AM and my cousins took me to Hock Farm Craft & Provisions, a restaurant known to cater using local agricultural goods. I have mad love for independent restaurants and restaurants who specialize in using local goods. The restaurant itself is extremely charming. It looks like a very upscale restaurant but it also gives off a gastropub-feel. There are large tables in the center for large groups. Also, there is a California shaped wooden table near the entrance. Sadly, I do not have any pictures from my visit. Everything on the menu was decently priced and I would definitely come back if I ever get the chance to visit sometime during winter because Hock Farm's menu changes with respect to the seasons. We ordered the Slow Roasted Salmon, Seared Albacore Tuna (Salad), Oven-Roasted Chicken Panini, Daily Pizza with pesto, zucchini and red onions, Fried Green Tomato BLT with sides of macaroni and cheese, Smoked Salmon Croquette and Chicken Liver Mousse. I had the Slow Roasted Salmon which was so yummy! The beets made the salad very refreshing and it was a huge salad! The Chicken Liver Mousse was amazing. Outside of banh mis, I've never really tried liver mousse.
Phillip made sure he took me to his favorite coffee shops in Sacramento. We started off at The Mill which just opened three weeks ago! I love new coffee shops! The Mill was aesthetically very appealing. I love simplistic and minimalistic decor and wooden furniture and open space and tons of natural lighting pouring into a coffee shop. Ahh I could go on for hours.
Insight Coffee on 8th Street was next. This is Philip's favorite coffee shop in Sacramento and I can see why. It's located on the corner of 8th and S Street. I got the vibe that its location is very quiet and reserved, which I really admire. Most coffee shops in Los Angeles are surrounded by cars and busy businesses and streets. I also adored all the kinds of seating here at Insight. The store front has the usual bar on the left, and to the right, there is a single row of old school styled chairs. It's so cool. It looks out into the street and wow I can imagine myself enjoying a hot cup on a rainy day and looking out to the wet streets. Insight has a tiny front patio with a couple of wooden tables. Also, there is a coffee table and a few couches in the inside.
We also visited Old Soul. The first thing I noticed was the bike rack at the entrance. I've never seen a bike rack inside of a coffee shop before! Bikes and coffee. Two of my many favorite things in life. Biking with a friend to grab coffee. Great stuff. Anyway, Old Soul was very unique. I loved the brick wall and how there are no enclosures at the shop. The roasting station, the kitchen as well as the seating area of the shop were all together and all visible. Unlike modern coffee shops, Old Soul's coffee shop vibe is rich in homeyness. Large wooden family-like tables and plentiful of sofas and coffee tables! I loved it.
The next day, my cousins took me to Chocolate Fish Coffee in East Sac, a coffee roaster inspired by New Zealand. (New Zealanders are making their way into the coffee industry, it's so great.)
We also went to Cafe Rolle, a French cafe on H Street. Every inch of this cafe is adorable! The walls were plastered with French posters and the tables were decorated with cute French post cards and photos. We didn't stay to eat, we just picked up some duck pate sandwiches as well as smoked salmon for Phillip's cheese and charcuterie party. (Previous blog entry is from Phillip's cheese & charcuterie party.) Again, I've never had pate outside of banh mi sandwiches. I don't even know if I can find pate anything outside of banh mis back in LA. If you know of any, leave a comment below pls, I've been craving pate ever since!
On Sunday morning, Phillip and I woke up bright and early to catch breakfast at Orphan Breakfast House. I am so glad I got to visit once again. I really enjoy coming here!
We strolled down to Insight Coffee on 10th that just opened earlier this year. This location is by far my favorite! I will never forget the baristas calling our baguette (that we purchased at Estelle's) a "long bread." It cracked us up. He kept insisting it as "long bread" and wanted to trade our bread for 5 cups of coffee. Anywho, wow Insight has really beautiful espresso machines. They're bronze and oh so beautifully designed.
Monday was my last day in Sacramento. Vinona took me to Magpie Cafe. I don't know why I ordered another salad this weekend because I never ever order salads, but I don't regret it one bit. I had the Lemon Chicken Salad and Vinona had the banh mi sandwich with beef. After lunch, we headed back to Insight Coffee on 8th Street for my last cup before the road. Insight makes the best tasting matcha latte I've ever tasted! It's color is also different. Lighter, more pastel and pretty.
I honestly did a horrible job at documenting my stay this past weekend. Without any proof of what I found most admirable about my stay, I will do my best to write about it. Downtown Sacramento is incredible. It has its own charm and I am glad it is not busy like San Francisco or Los Angeles. It's home to many independent businesses and quaint cafes and coffee shops. Many cafes and shops are located in residential neighborhoods and I love that. Also, trees and trees and greens everywhere! So beautiful. I could only imagine how darling it would be to stroll down these streets in autumn kicking leaves or biking to Insight after having brunch at Magpie. I can't wait to visit again!
Woah, feels like I just wrote a lot of crappy Yelp reviews for each of the businesses I had the pleasure of visiting. Oops.
For more photos of Sacramento, visit my cousin's blog Potatoislike.











No comments:
Post a Comment