August 30, 2014

Avocado + Shrimp Spring Rolls


While searching "avocado recipes" on Pinterest, I came across a blog called the tart tart. The tart tart has many recipes on her blog ranging from breakfast, dessert, drinks and so much more. I came across her recipe for an avocado summer roll and I immediately wanted to make it. I don't exactly know how the term "summer roll" came about, but I've always known it as "spring rolls." I love spring rolls and I have been eating spring rolls my entire life. I knew this recipe would be a piece of cake because my mom was always making them in the kitchen and I've been wrapping my own spring rolls for as long as I can remember. Below is my twist on an avocado summer roll.

Avocado + Shrimp Summer Roll:
1-2 avocados
carrots
cucumbers
mint leaves
bun or glass vermicelli 
boiled shrimp 
Three Ladies Brand spring roll rice paper

First and foremost, I do not rely on measurements whenever I am in the kitchen. I honestly eyeball all the time. To begin, this recipe calls for about 10-12 rolls. Grab a handful of glass vermicelli noodles and let them boil with water until it gets soft. Next, cook about 8 shrimps. Devein and cut in halves. Once your shrimp and noodles are cooked and ready, prepare the veggies next. I chopped the carrots and cucumbers in short sticks. Proceed to slice the avocados and rinse your mint leaves. Feel free to add basil, lettuce, etc. In a pot, boil some water to wet the rice paper. Once the pot comes to a boil, turn off the heat and completely dip a sheet of rice paper and let cool on a wide edgeless plate. Place 3 slices of avocados first, next, stack on the remaining ingredients and wrap away!

Hoison Peanut Sauce:
1/2 cup Lee Kum Kee Hoison sauce
1/4 cup peanut butter (use chunky peanut butter!)
1/4 water
1/2 tbsp of corn starch 

In a small pot, dump the Hoison sauce, peanut butter and then add water. Let it simmer and constantly stir the contents. Next, add the corn starch. The corn starch gives the peanut sauce that thick consistency. Taste the contents and add more of the Hoison sauce or peanut butter to your liking. 

Spring rolls is a great and healthy dish especially for summer. It's light and very easy to make. I've watched my mom make spring rolls for my brothers and I since I was little. It's easily my favorite home dish. There's no rule when making spring rolls so be creative and add whatever veggies you want! 

Enjoy! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment